Rungee Goes to School

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Procrastination

I have found yet another way to procrastinate... updating my blog. :) A little prodding helps too... thanks Juggler.

This week was a tumultuous one, as I reassessed where I was applying (AGAIN). My recommenders are going to kill me. First, MIT keeps sending me stuff. Wooing me with fancy looking things apparently works to some extent. Second, I rediscovered Duke, and subsequently considered swapping Duke for Stanford. I would LOVE to go to Stanford as much as any of my other top choices, b/c I think their curriculum is such a good fit for me, but I feel like my chances are lowest there for some reason. I am usually a fairly decisive person so this constantly waffling among school choices is driving me insane. Argh.

I decided that this recent uncertainty about a few schools should not prevent me from continuing to make progress on the essays for the other schools. So, I put some finishing touches on my LBS essays and got about half way through the Wharton essays (1st essay was 1000 words... so long and yet not enough room... hmmm). Surprisingly, the failure essay has been sort of difficult for me to write. I've had a few missteps here and there, but nothing that I feel would make a truly good topic, especially in the professional realm (I plan to cover some other extracurricular things in other essays, so in the interest of a balanced application, I wanted to do a prof. essay here). If I can get a draft of the rest of the Wharton essays done by tonight I will be totally on top of my schedule (I've created a calendar with my self-imposed deadlines for everything... I love it... it's even got symbols).

I also just rec'd all my feedback from friends and family for my HBS essays and I'm incorporating their comments. I got some really valuable revisions, but I was very happy that they all thought I got my points across. I asked them to name the themes they would take away from the essays. Thankfully, they all identified the themes I was trying to convey! Guess that means the essays are well on their way to being final. :) *little celebratory dance* I finally got up the energy to start researching and outlining that damn ethics essay too. I'm not ready to write it yet, but at least I'm a few steps closer.

There are only about 7 weekends left before due dates start rolling around... that's just plain scary. I think I'll definitely have to put some time in during the week. I can see a few days off in my future (perhaps late September when panic hits).

All right, back to writing!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rico's Mom said...

Just curious as to why you think your chances at Harvard and the other top schools are better than at Stanford?

7:31 PM  
Blogger Juggler said...

Confusion is a killer. Hang in there, you'll figure out what to do soon enough.

Good going with the essays! Kudos!

5:25 AM  
Blogger rungee582 said...

mba salsera - sheer odds have a lot to do with it.

cornfed mba - i've been able to draft essays fairly quickly, but they still have a lot of work before they are literary works of art. :) W/ regard to health care - I definitely have some questions... I'll post those separately in a more convenient place (on your blog!). Thanks for offering to share your insight!

Jugger - Thanks! :)

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home