Rungee Goes to School

Friday, June 22, 2007

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Today was my official last day of work (although I really haven't done much since Wednesday in general). We had a happy hour to celebrate, which was fun. My husband finally got to meet a lot of the people I have talked about over the past few years (he had met a few of them already). It felt very strange to leave my first job. It was a good proving ground - I learned a lot and met some fantastic people that I would be lucky to work with again.

What made it feel even a little more weird was this unusual situation where I was due up for my annual review but was, of course, leaving to go back to school. Still, both I and my team wanted to complete the review and document my activities / progress over the past year. That was finished earlier this month and I just had my debrief today. Incredibly, the result was a promotion! How many people get promoted on their last day of work?! I was honestly quite impressed with my company that they gave the go-ahead on that decision when I had one foot out the door and was extremely happy about it. It was a very nice way to go out, and of course, leaves the door open to return.

Other than that, I have just been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. :) I'm in the midst of packing my apartment, finalizing my pre-term registration details, and getting ready for my trips to Central and South America (all of which needs to be done by next Thursday). I guess the craziness that has been my life recently is good practice for what is coming up next!

9 Comments:

Blogger Iday said...

Freedom must taste so sweet.

My last working day is 4 weeks away and i am eagerly awaiting the day to come :)

I just finished my annual review as well. The final briefing is yet to happen and i wouldnt be surprised if that happens close to my last day :)

Anyway - enjoy the mad rush of starting life as a student again :)

12:56 AM  
Blogger UniQpath said...

It's very nice about the promotion from work on your last day. All nice things come to an end in a nice way! Have a nice vacation :-)

4:33 PM  
Blogger 1effect said...

Congrats on the promotion! Sounds like you're just immersed in great opportunities!

Because you follow MBA news, we wanted to tell you about an interesting program that happened recently in Nashville involving Fortune 500 corporations and students from around the world.

Shortly after Donald Trump announced that he was moving on from "The Apprentice," Acceleratorä, a four-week business boot camp at Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management, challenged students to learn business by doing business.

For 30 days, 45 top-notch college students from the U.S. and around the world were exposed to CEOs and other executives from a variety of industries. They were given real-world business problems to solve for companies like American Airlines, FedEx, Lexus, Whirlpool, and Hospital Corporation of America, competing "Apprentice-style" for once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that included:

- Time in the flight simulators at FedEx
- A trip to Dallas, courtesy of American Airlines, to present their recommendations to their executive management team
- A table at the National Civil Rights Museum's Freedom Award celebrity dinner, honoring those who made significant contributions to civil rights movements
- Internships
- And more

The program ended on June 24, 2007 but you can get the 411 at http://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbilt/Programs/accelerator/index.cfm. You can also peek inside this action-packed immersion into all areas of business at the Accelerator blog (http://accelerator2007.blogspot.com/), maintained by Michael Burcham, CEO of ParadigmHealth and Accelerator's entrepreneurial faculty director.

Best of luck to you!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

hey! how r u doing?

Great to hear abt ur promotion on the last day of your work! lol! Thats a sweet parting gift!

W it is, right?

3:40 PM  
Blogger AspirantHunt said...

Hello, We have launched AspirantHunt, platform for connecting MBA aspirants with admission committees of business schools looking for the right fit for their schools.

You can also hear about the chances of getting into the b-schools you have dreamt for from our experts free of cost.

Please have a look into it
http://www.aspiranthunt.com

Wish you all the best
AspirantHunt Team
AspirantHunt - Connecting MBA Aspirants to the Best Business Schools

2:35 PM  
Blogger Iday said...

Thanks for your greetings!

Now, that's a really long time u went MIA. Welcome back!!! What's been happening? Reached Philly???

School's less than a week for u now. You should be really excited i guess!

10:25 AM  
Blogger MBAandBeyond said...

Hi Rungee,

Your blog is a great resource to applicants like me
I am applying to Wharton this year and
want to discuss with you.

Can you provide me your email id?

Thanks

4:35 AM  
Blogger theincarnated said...

gr8...... so hows life @ b-skool..... seems like you have abandoned this blog.... such a pity..... a gr8 loss..... newayz... enjoy life.....

2:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ensure Yourself Success By Using Printable GED Practice Tests
ged books 2011

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home