Rungee Goes to School

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So sad

While I don't usually comment on current events on my blog, I feel compelled to say something about the VA Tech shootings. Mainly b/c this is all happening in my backyard... literally. The shooter went to my high school. Yup, he's right there in my senior year book (as a freshman then). He didn't look happy in his year book picture... clearly things didn't get better for him. His house is right across my little sister's middle school, and they had reporters swarming there all day long. Some of the victims are also from my area (thankfully, my friends that are still at Tech as safe).

It's all incredibly sad (I know I am understating the obvious). I don't understand why someone would do something like that. But, I don't understand a lot of things that happen in this world. I watched the movie "Blood Diamond" recently, about the war in Sierra Leone and the diamond trade there that funded the fighting in the country. I was particularly struck by the portrayal of child armies. I started reading "A Long Way Gone," an autobiography of an Oberlin alum who was actually in one of these armies. Children being forced to do horrendous acts until it becomes natural. It's a wonder any of them recovered (and I'm sure many never did). Terrible things happen every day, and most of the time we don't notice b/c it doesn't affect us. I'm guilty, I admit it... I read CNN or BBC and shake my head but don't really dwell on it for the most part. It's part defense mechanism and part learned helplessness. But, when some event does hit home, it really does put things in perspective. My thoughts go out to the victims' families and friends. :(

3 Comments:

Blogger Iday said...

Yes! It is a really sad thing to have happened!

12:35 AM  
Blogger UniQpath said...

It's very disturbing that this happened.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

as a potential LBS applicant I started reading MBA blogs and ran into yours... And as a fellow Hokie (EE'2001) I also had a sister who stay on-campus. But just amazing and wonderful to see the Global impact and responses this event has had! Now, people will know what a Hokie really is :) LOL

Go Hokies!

p.s. Have you decided which school to head on to? Because I'd love to pick on your brain a bit since there aren't many MBA types in the engineering area. My e-mail is kleung.hkg@gmail.com Thanks.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home