Rungee Goes to School

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good Things Come in Threes

Well, I've finished my Wharton interview. I think it went pretty well. It ended up being more of a conversation than an interview... the interviewer really did a great job of putting me at ease right away (he asked me about my trip... I relayed some snafus... he commiserated). I interviewed with a 2nd year student on Wharton's campus. The interview is blind... they only have your resume (which you provide when you get there). Below are the questions I was asked:

- What led you to your current job?
- Why do you need an MBA?
- When I told him what I wanted to do post-MBA, he followed up with Why do you want to go into that field? He also happened to know something about that field, so he asked me what were the pressing issues I saw for the near-term
- Why Wharton?
- Tell me about a defining leadership moment
- What makes a good leader?
- How do you deal with a difficult team mate?
- What extracurriculars would you like to get involved in at Wharton? Why those?
- What role would youp lay on your learning team?
- What will you need to do to be successful at Wharton?
- Is there anything you want to add? Any weaknesses you'd like to address?

He scribbled notes as we went. The interview lasted about the 30 minutes allotted (maybe a minute or two over). So, they seem to run a pretty tight ship to keep on schedule. Anyway, I really enjoyed the whole experience. The main Wharton building just pulses with energy when all the students are running around... I liked the environment.

Just thinking that my interview went well was enough to make my happy, but I checked my email and found two more reasons to celebrate (this is definitely a good day). I got interview invitations from both Harvard AND Michigan!!! :D

HBS gave me a date and time for an on-campus interview. While I'm thrilled to get the chance to go back to Boston, the date could be better as the plane tickets cost an arm and a leg (it's flanking the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, so there are almost no available seats left!) The Michigan invitation gave me the options of interviewing with a local alum, interviewing with Adcom up in Ann Arbor, or interviewing over the phone. There wasn't much to think about - I need to see the school, so to Ann Arbor I will go. Thankfully, that ticket won't be nearly as expensive.

I admit - I'm feeling very lucky. Not only did I get these interviews, but I got them fairly early in the process, so I don't need to keep biting my fingernails day in and day out (will resume doing that between the end of interviews and the decision release date). I just hope some of these interview invites also turn into acceptances. Good luck to all those who are still waiting out there in the blogosphere ... I know your invites will come through as well. :)

12 Comments:

Blogger Rico's Mom said...

Congratulations! That's awesome! Let us know how the upcoming interviews go!

7:33 PM  
Blogger A said...

Congrats Rungee..All the best :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger High Above Broadway said...

Congrats! Perhaps I will see you there..

9:29 PM  
Blogger Juggler said...

Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!

:-) one for each...

All the Best. Crack 'em!

10:14 PM  
Blogger asiangal said...

Congratulations! I heard HBS only interviews after doing a LOT of pre-screening. =)

11:06 PM  
Blogger UniQpath said...

Awesome! Best of luck for all the interviews.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Iday said...

Congratulations on the Wharton interview performance and all the best with the remaining two interviews.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

Awesome! Gr8 news! Congrats! :)

4:56 AM  
Blogger rungee582 said...

Thanks! :) I'll continue to post how these interviews go ... I hope I will be able to report positive things!

8:20 AM  
Blogger StressTensor said...

Congrats! Keep us posted on the developments!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

WOW, you're on the roll, man!
congratulations!

2:03 PM  
Blogger MBABlogger said...

Sounds really neat !! Good luck for HBS and ROSS

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home